about | help | how to post – Craigslist
How to submit a free craigslist post
Follow the steps below to submit a free post to craigslist without using an account.
If you want to post using a craigslist account, go to your account homepage. Select a city from the dropdown at far right, click “go, ” and follow the steps below starting with step 3. (If you have trouble finding the right craigslist site, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one. )
Please note that the steps may vary a bit depending on the category of your post.
1. Visit our homepage,
Make sure the location named at the top is where you want to post.
If the location is not correct, visit our list of available sites, and choose the most appropriate one.
2. Click “post to classifieds” in the top-left corner.
3. Select a category for your post.
Depending on the type of post, you may be asked to choose additional categories.
In “for sale” you can select a more specific category (such as “bicycles – by owner”).
In some cities, you may select a subarea (e. g. “manhattan”) and neighborhood (e. “SoHo”).
4. Enter the text for your post.
This page will vary depending on the category of your post. Important fields include:
posting title: your post’s name. It will appear in the main list of posts.
posting description: the body of your post.
reply to: the email address you want to use for responses. Please enter it twice.
5. When you are finished writing your post, click “continue” at the bottom of the screen:
6. In some categories you will have the option to add images to your post.
For further assistance with uploading images, please visit this page.
When you’re finished adding images, click “done with images. ”
7. Make sure your post looks right.
Confirm that your email address and the location of your post are accurate.
To make changes, click “edit text” or “edit images. ”
If everything looks good, click “publish. ”
8. You will now need to confirm your post via email.
When the system says “further action is required, ” check your email for a message from craigslist.
9. Open the email from craigslist, and click the confirmation link.
If you are unable to click on the link, try copying and pasting it into your web browser.
If all goes right, your post should appear on craigslist about 15 minutes after your confirmation.
Need to edit or delete your post?
How to reply to a post on Craigslist in several different ways
You can reply to a posting on Craigslist in a few ways.
You can reply to any post on Craigslist — just click the “reply” button at the top left of a post, and complete the Captcha puzzle if you’re asked to.
Some Craigslist listings will offer a phone contact to call or text, though most listings will only offer an email contact.
You can click an email link to open your email app automatically or copy and paste the link into an email program later.
Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Something is loading.
Craigslist is a modern-day bulletin board, filled with countless classified ads that you can post and reply to for free. While using Craigslist to respond to a post isn’t difficult, the site’s unrefined interface can sometimes feel imposing. Here is how to reply to any post on Craigslist.
How to reply to a post on Craigslist1. Open the Craigslist website in your browser and find a post you want to reply to. 2. Click “reply” in the upper left corner of the page.
Click “reply” to respond to a Craigslist post.
Dave Johnson/Business Insider
3. Craigslist might require you to complete a Captcha test to make sure you are human. If so, answer the question, such as finding all the squares that contain a certain kind of object. 4. In the pop-up menu, choose how you want to reply. There may be an option to show a phone number or email address; if you see “show phone number, ” you can click it to call or text the poster directly.
Some Craigslist users post their phone number in addition to their email.
5. Most postings, though, will only display “show email. ” Click it to see your email options:If you use an email client on your desktop, like Microsoft Outlook, you can click the link under “reply by email. ” That should open your email app with the email address automatically inserted. If you use webmail like Gmail or Yahoo Mail, click the appropriate link in the “webmail links” section. This should open your webmail in a browser, with the address you want to reply another way, you can click the email address at the bottom of the window and copy it by pressing Ctrl+C on your PC keyboard or Command+C on a Mac. Then you can paste the address into any email program or webmail service you prefer. Once you’ve done that, you can write and send your email as usual. If you’re concerned about your privacy, you may want to use a “disposable” email account such as a webmail service you use infrequently and not for any important personal mail.
Choose the kind of email response that’s most convenient.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:How to search for a seller on eBay in 2 different waysHow to contact a third-party seller on AmazonHow to sell items on eBay by creating an item listing, and start your own marketplace’How long does a buyer have to pay on eBay? ‘: A buyer has 2 days in most cases — here’s what you need to knowHow to list and sell items on Facebook Marketplace, Facebook’s version of Craigslist
Dave Johnson is a technology journalist who writes about consumer tech and how the industry is transforming the speculative world of science fiction into modern-day real life. Dave grew up in New Jersey before entering the Air Force to operate satellites, teach space operations, and do space launch planning. He then spent eight years as a content lead on the Windows team at Microsoft. As a photographer, Dave has photographed wolves in their natural environment; he’s also a scuba instructor and co-host of several podcasts. Dave is the author of more than two dozen books and has contributed to many sites and publications including CNET, Forbes, PC World, How To Geek, and Insider.
Receive a selection of our best stories daily based on your reading preferences.
Tech How To
It indicates an expandable section or menu, or sometimes previous / next navigation options.
An icon in the shape of a lightning bolt.
Why is my posting not showing up on Craigslist? – GetHuman
Often times when you try to post something on Craigslist you can run into problems. Here’s how to solve some of the most common problems.
Craigslist is one of the most popular tools for finding jobs and posting stuff. The simplicity of its algorithm makes it easy to make millions of transaction. It can, therefore, be frustrating when your postings don’t show up. There are plenty of reasons why your posting may not be showing. They include the following;
Posting Free Ads
Even though free ads on Craigslist can be very effective, the site does not want you to post them. If they allowed everyone to post all their ads, the site would soon be filled with commercial ads. If Craigslist bots find something that they do not like on your ad, it won’t show up. Another reason why your ad may not show up is if you post too many ads too fast.
Posting Similar Ads
If the ad you post appears too similar to the one you posted earlier, it may not show up. If you want to post a new ad, try to make different from the previous one. You should also consider changing the IP address often. Being blocked for posting similar ads is known as being green ghosted. Some factors may cause you to be green ghosted include;
1. Posting too often with the same IP
2. Using the same title
3. Using the same ad body
4. Using the same email address too many times
5. Using image ads in categories that are disallowed
6. Using public proxies
If you still cannot understand why your postings do not show up, consider the following;
1. If you made a post without logging in to an account, you will receive a link in your email. Use the link to complete the login.
2. Postings expire at some point. Paid postings usually expire in 30 days while free postings expire in seven to 45 days.
4. In your search, you may be using a password that does not appear in the actual post
5. Posts appear in chronological order. When searching, ensure that you look under the correct time and date.
6. Ensure that you are searching in the right category
7. Refresh or reload your page as index pages and search results are periodically updated.
How to Check If Your Ad Is Ghosted
If you cannot find an ad that you posted, it is probably ghosted. Fortunately, it is possible to check whether your ad is live or ghosted. You can do it by following these steps;
1. Copy your post ID from the bottom of your ad
2. Paste the 10-digit ID in the search box on the exact category of your ad. If you cannot find it, it is definitely ghosted.
Another indication that your ad is ghosted is if you do not receive any feedback for it. For a live ad, you should get responses including phone calls and emails.
Fortunately, it is possible to avoid ghosting on Craigslist in a few simple steps. You can avoid being ghosted for using a blocked IP by taking the following precautions.
1. Avoid posting too many ads at the same time
2. Don’t use any auto-posting software
3. Don’t post ads from a public place
To avoid ghosting because of issues with your phone number, take the following steps.
1. Ensure that the phone number you are using has not been blocked
2. The phone number in your Craigslist account should be similar to the one in your Craigslist description.
If you still have trouble finding your posts, contact Craigslist support team for help.
Help from Real PeopleWe partner with a US-based company with live tech support experts available 24/7. Take advantage of a $1 one-week trial membership and chat with an expert With A Help ExpertWhy Did GetHuman Write “Why is my posting not showing up on Craigslist? “? After thousands of Craigslist customers came to GetHuman in search of an answer to this problem (and many others), we decided it was time to publish instructions. So we put together Why is my posting not showing up on Craigslist? to try to help. It takes time to get through these steps according to other users, including time spent working through each step and contacting Craigslist if necessary. Best of luck and please let us know if you successfully resolve your issue with guidance from this does GetHuman Write How-to Guides for Craigslist Problems? GetHuman has been working for over 10 years on sourcing information about big organizations like Craigslist in order to help customers resolve customer service issues faster. We started with contact information and fastest ways to reach a human at big companies. Particularly ones with slow or complicated IVR or phone menu systems. Or companies that have self-serve help forums instead of a customer service department. From there, we realized that consumers still needed more detailed help solving the most common problems, so we expanded to this set of guides, which grows every day. And if you spot any issues with our Why is my posting not showing up on Craigslist? guide, please let us know by sending us feedback. We want to be as helpful as possible. If you appreciated this guide, please share it with your favorite people. Our free information and tools is powered by you, the customer. The more people that use it, the better it gets.
Frequently Asked Questions about help with craigslist posting
How do I contact Craigslist for posting?
You can reply to any post on Craigslist — just click the “reply” button at the top left of a post, and complete the Captcha puzzle if you’re asked to. Some Craigslist listings will offer a phone contact to call or text, though most listings will only offer an email contact.Nov 9, 2020
Why is Craigslist not posting?
If Craigslist bots find something that they do not like on your ad, it won’t show up. Another reason why your ad may not show up is if you post too many ads too fast.
How do you update Craigslist posting?
Click the “Edit” button next to the post you want to update. Make the necessary changes and click the “Continue” button twice. Enter the verification word and click “Continue” to update the post.